A hard, flat, rectangular British biscuit formally called ‘Garibaldi’, we called them ‘squashed-fly biscuits’ because of the tiny dark currants that gave chewy relief to the texture.   It seems the nickname was current half a century before I came across it. Do they still exist? Are they still called ‘squashed-fly biscuits’?

Source: Arthur Ransome, Swallows and Amazons

Pin It on Pinterest